Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday

One of my favorite days of the week! Today marking the completion of half my work week. Now I am home free for Thursday and Friday! Definitely celebrating that one. I like my job. Like most people I do not get paid near what I am worth to this establishment, but I think settling has a lot to do with the fact that I wake up in the morning excited about the accomplishments that await me. Yes, needing an income while I complete school plays a huge role, but I enjoy the fact that I am making a difference in the the overall outcome of individual lives. I work in a hospital so yes, I am surrounded by people saving lives on a daily basis; however, MY work is directly related to the emergency/safety side of the hospital.

So, this week I have been writing an evacuation plan for the hospital...exciting, huh? I just finished our Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) and this Evacuation Plan is an Annex to that main EOP. Already on page ten! I'm sure that probably sounds boring to most, but there is more to it than just writing. I think the education and exercising of the plans that comes next is the exciting part. Watching a bunch of employees, visitors and guests run aimlessly as they fear for their lives. Pure chaos breaking loose; all because of me. Just kidding. Those who know me outside of work are probably thinking that sounded about right. Seriously though, it has really started coming together in the last few days. Everybody has a job, responsibilities in an emergency and the thing I love the most about my new plans...accountability. There is nothing worse that having handfuls of people saying, "It's not my fault, that's not my job." Boils my blood just typing those words. Hopefully these plans will eliminate that excuse pretty quickly.

Just a little side bit of info on what I do at work...stimulating isn't it?! :)

The week has been good, my work is going good, and Lauren comes home today! I think that qualifies for a great week (watch, my Thursday and Friday will probably be Hell since I have said all of this). So anywho, I was reading through some fun quotes yesterday and came across a new one:

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
-Albert Einstein

As adults, do we really use our imaginations? I guess that is a big part of being an adult, using logic rather than imagination. I can remember when I was little I would use my imagination all the time...playing outside or even when I was swimming. I would pretend I was Ariel from The Little Mermaid all day long (ok, so maybe that was yesterday). Ah, good times! I see it in Ellie now too, she walks around with her baby doll and mumbles little things while caring so delicately for that little thing. It is so sweet. I guess I still use my imagination when I am scrapbooking or thinking about my future, but I have to say it isn't near the fun it used to be. I shouldn't say that, it is fun to an extent. I always have fun thinking about what could be, it's just a matter of making it reality now that I am an adult. Probably the reason we shy away from it so. :)

No comments: