Friday, June 6, 2008

Dolphin Fun!

I was looking through the videos I had taken this weekend at the beach and this one is the best! No comments on the terrible filming job please; it was early and we hadn't eaten breakfast, so I was pretty shaky. You can still see the beautiful dolphins though!

Isn't that exciting?! I thought so. They were everywhere that morning. I always find it exciting and interesting to watch animals in their own habitat. Just to admire their routine, and in the dolphin's case, their elegance. I have been reading some rather interesting facts on dolphins since we have been back. Did you know that as soon as the calf is born, the mother takes the calf to the surface so it can take its first breath...what a good mom! Then, the calf will nurse from 11 months to 2 years, and after it is done nursing it will still stay with the mother until it is between 3 and 8 years old.

Let me just say, no way would I let Ellie nurse for 2 years. Sure, she kept it up for about 9 months, but that was long enough to damage Mommy's once-cute body. Although, I don't see many dolphins swimming around with any sort of sagging going on...they just firm right back up! Hmmm....very interesting. They usually only have one calf and twins are extremely rare. I guess our population would shrink quite a bit too if we were only programmed to have one baby. There's some food for thought!

So anyway, there is my two cents' worth on dolphins. :) Regardless of their reproductive habits, I am still in awe of their lifestyles and playful nature. I think they are just one of those mystical animals. You know, the ones that little girls fall in love with...like horses! Which, by the way, I love too! I am still a little girl at heart I guess.

No comments: