Friday, May 23, 2008

A Little Southern Comfort

These are just a couple of the many beautiful blossoms marking the eve of summertime in the south. I snapped these photographs yesterday afternoon while Ellie and I were playing in the front yard. I do not believe this first picture even comes close to capturing the brillant fuchsia that the flower possesses in real life. My parents, with their green thumbs, really have a nack for landscaping. They are always in the yard adding or transplanting flowers and plants throughout the year. I love it! In my opinion, there is not anything more visually stimulating than a well-kept yard or garden. It just says so much about the person living in that environment. I think it reflects dedication, respect, cleanliness, and devotion, all of which are qualities worth having on display. Where better to display them then in front of the home you cherish?
These blooms are fun too! Although, if I were a flower I think I would do one bloom at a time. That way I would be beautiful throughout the entire summer rather than just the few weeks at the beginning. I bet they have their own valid reasons for such an occurrance.
I find summer to be a very exciting time. A time for beauty and relaxation; a time for enjoying the product of a hectic spring after a long winter. Summer really gives us all a time to step back and reflect on the masterpiece that God created for us. I do not think you need a pretty garden to enjoy the fruitfulness of summer, the beauty is everywhere. It is in a cool breeze during the ninety degree weather or even a late afternoon storm leaving everything nourished and vibrant for whatever may happen next. It just makes everything so poetic in my mind. Let me just say that I am not normally that way. I see things very...ummm, what's the word?....realistic. None of that sugar-coated, beat-around-the-bush type stuff for me. Actually, I find myself wishing I could think that way sometimes. Sympathy and compasion have never really been strong points for me. I like to think I am towards the ones I love, but I am pretty sure even those individuals would probably disagree. When it comes to my relationships and my personality, I feel like I have always played the role of less feeling. Maybe not less feeling, just not expressing those feelings. I have never really been the lovey-dovey or affectionate type. Instead, I am more the type that wants time alone to do my own thing. I am a big scrapbooking, picture-taking, baking, independent individual. The girly, friendship-craving aspects were never as dominant I guess. My need for attachment to others is far less than the normal human. I like to think of that as a good quality, but it causes some issues in relationships.
So anyway, there is one person I am lovey-dovey with. :) Ellie is such a little stinker. She is just arriving at the 17 month mark and she knows just how to work all of us. Whenever I tell her no, she leans over and gives me a sweet little kiss like she didn't do anything wrong. It is really priceless (I am sure I will be disagreeing later). No fear, I stand firm in whatever I am saying no about. It is hard though. She is just so darn cute!

Before I took this picture I said, "Ellie, lean over and look at the camera." I meant for her to lean towards me, but whatever.

What an angel! Even with her snotty nose, chedder cheese chips mouth, and wild hair, she is still the best thing ever! She makes me so thankful for everything in my life. That appreciation alone is a wonderful gift.
Wow, today's post really ended up being a lengthy one. I am finding that I may have a mild addiction to blogging. I wonder if they make a patch for that?

1 comment:

Lovely Lauren said...

So I finally broke down and signed up for another google account. Even though I already had one. And they said my password was only fair, but I have to disagree with that. I thought it was great. Just like me:) Anyway, I wanted to finally comment on your blogs that I've been keeping up with for the last week. Ever since you called Judson and I at 7AM in the morninng to let us know you started blogging. I should have known then that you were addicted. Back to subject, this last blog is so sweet! First it shows what a great writer you are. I told Judson you get that from me:) Second, how darn cute Ellie is. I really like it when you explain the pictures. I love it that you told Ellie to lean over for the camera and she leaned the other way. PRICELESS! And your description of Spring, Summer and flowers are just as beautiful as the blooms:) You are a wonderful person! I'm so glad and blessed to have you as a sister!!!