Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dealing with Stress

I am taking this time to reflect on all the stressors that are lingering in my life right now. There are quite a few, as usual, and without stepping back to take a deep breath I fear that my normality could be in danger.

Isn't it amazing how quickly things can build up? One minute things are great and you are enjoying every aspect of life; then, BAM! All of the sudden you find yourself wanting to pull your hair out or cry in the corner like a wounded puppy. Oh wait, you don't do that? You mean that isn't normal? Whatever, I know better than that. Everyone has a boiling point, or should I say breaking point, that gives them that last little push over the edge of insanity. Oh man, do I feel sorry for those around me when I reach that point.

That happens to me more frequent than I would like, you know, needing to apologize for the way I have acted.
Humbling adj : causing awareness of your shortcomings
I think that just about sums it up. Yet, I still manage to let my impatience and irritation get the best of me. So how do you prevent this from happening? Let me know if you figure that one out. Maybe managing my time better, not taking on so many commitments, taking some of the stuff off my plate? Sure...maybe, but then I would be impatient and irritated for no reason. I can't be having that. ;)

I really do not think the solution is that easy. My irritation-o-meter is pretty sensitive. I try to maintain a steady balance of understanding and moderate compassion for other human beings, but sometimes I find it extremely difficult. Things like ignorance and selfishness really jump-start the irritation process for me. Actually, I deal pretty well with the ignorant being that I reside on the border of (let's just call it) "less educated."

Selfishness gets me though. Man oh man, that's a biggy. You can be ignorant and still know the importance of being selfless. Ok, maybe not, but you get the point. Like the type that you try to carry on a conversation with, but can't because somehow the topic keeps ending up on them again. Yeah, that kind. The type that when you start a conversation all you get is a, "Yeah, like when I..." The type that is more than likely not listening to what you are saying, but rather thinking of what they might say next. If you are questioning your selfishness at this point then yes, I am probably referring to you.

Now, don't go mistaking a simple conversation for being selfish. I refer back to myself and my experiences when the time calls for it, I think everyone does. Don't worry, you will be able to spot the selfish ones. There won't be a doubt in your mind. You will notice that after any conversation you will probably know their life story and they probably won't recall your name. We all want to talk about ourselves and most of the time others want to hear it, when it correlates with the topic at hand. Then you get the others....the ME-I people. Let me just say there is a cure for people like that....start blogging!

Ahhhhh....

I feel better already. So I did have something positive and fun to share today....
Beautiful isn't it?! I would not mind taking a stroll or two through that environment. It relaxes me just looking at it.






Evelyn's words of wisdom for today:
Take a deep breath and count down from 12...slowly. If that doesn't work, find a good lawyer.

Adios!

1 comment:

Lovely Lauren said...

Are you talking about me?